Jeff Rasmussen wrote:
> Is it necessary with current hardware to lock down auto-negotiation?
> Our network engineer is enphatic that everything has to be locked down
> at 100FD.  He says that auto-negotiation will slow down the network with
> extra traffic.
>
> However, I can't find anything on the web that says why auto-negotiation
> wouldn't work, as long as the standard is adhered to and the only reason
> it shouldn't be adhered to is if the equipment is pre-1997.
>
> --
> Jeff Rasmussen
> GPG public key 0x9686C12F

Like most standards, there can be issues with implementation. If you ask
person A and person B to develop the same thing according to the same
set of standards, you probably won't get two things exactly alike. If
you ask two companies to do it, you definetly won't get two things alike.

I let my workstations autoneg, it's good enough for them. Servers and
interswitch links I prefer to hard code.

Josh