On 8/3/05, Raymond Norton <admin at lctn.org> wrote:
> > Are you using ethtool or mii-tool to make the settings?
> >

> I tried using ethtool,but get the folowing:
>
> ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off
> Cannot get current device settings: Operation not supported
>   not setting speed
>   not setting duplex
>   not setting autoneg

What I've found is that not all cards are supported mii-tool, nor
under ethtool.  It's typically one, or the other.

That being said, I try running both:

mii-tool    (This will give status of all ethernet devices)

ethtool ethX   (required to have an eth device specified)

Commands to lock at 100FD for both mii-tool and ethtool:

#ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

#mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD eth0  (in case ethtool doesn't work/display)

  -Put whichever of these these entries into the rc.local file

If you have one end of the port set to 100FD for example, and the
other end is set to auto-neg, you'll hose your speed.  Both need to be
set the same for optimal performance.  At work, we lock all ports to
100FD.  At home, I run everything on auto-neg because my switches and
hubs are not managed.

--
-Shawn

-Nemo me impune lacessit.  Ne Obliviscaris..