On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 02:50 -0500, fci wrote:
> i'm involved in an online community.. we're looking to expand into
> maybe having a 'virtual world' (currently there is irc and a forum and
> a wiki system coming).. do you have any ideas / suggestions on an app
> that could do this or maybe an alternate suggestion (things that would
> stimulate community oriented things..)?

The most impressive one I've seen so far is Planeshift:

http://www.planeshift.it/main_01.html

They've managed to snag some artists with, what do you call it...
talent. Something that too many open source games tend to lack, in
particular causing many technically sound attempts to create open source
MMORPGs to wither and die because they look like crap. ;P

However when I played with it, which was something like two years ago
now, being usable by anyone but them didn't seem to be high on their
priority list. In particular, the server code didn't seem to be
available. Hopefully that's changed by now.