On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Kraig Jones wrote:
> This announcement comes as bad news to me:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/13/0359253&tid=187&tid=215&tid=98

 Wow.  That's annoying.  While I can't exactly fault them (we all gotta
make money, right?), it's still frustrating to lose out on a resource like
that (unless we want to pool the fee).

> I've only had the chance to attend one beer meeting so far that was
> organized through Meetup.com, but I thoroughly enjoyed that one.  BIG
> THANKS DEBORAH!.  But I think this new fee is outrageously high.  $19 a
> year, maybe, maybe... but a month!  So screw 'em.

 I haven't had a chance to attend since Deb picked up the Coordinator post
(time/schedule constraints, whee), but I know that the job has largely
been undervalued.  Mad props to her.

> Seems it shouldn't be too hard to reorganize beer meetings through this
> list.  Comments?

 Wow, ancient history coming back.  We used to announce here, but the RSVP
factor was always an issue (and pissed off quite a few venues, thanks to
our attendance guesstimates).  One would think that it wouldn't be too
hard to drum up a CGI to deal with that, though.

     Jima
former beer meeting announcer