My company has been hit by a sudden spate of X11 failures. These X11
failures probably are related to xfs service (X font server) failures.
Both machines affected appear to experience xfs failure before X11 failure.

I have had some trouble profiling this failure. On one machine the log
files contain no information other than a line "xfs service reset" and a
subsequent line "xfs service failure" about 15 minutes later. On the
other machine, the xfs service crashes as soon as X11 is called by the
bootup procedure. Again, nothing in the logs.

When I attempt to check the status of the services I get "pid file
exists but service failed" message.

In the case of the first machine, I ran strace -p <pid of xfs> overnight
to try to catch the crash. No luck. On the second machine I was able to
strace the service as it loaded and failed. I'm still going through that
log, but I don't see anything conclusive yet.

Has anybody had experience with this type of system failure?

jwreese0 at comcast dot net