I've just got the opportunity to install a second processor in a
Debian Sarge box.  I have absolutely no experience with dual processor
machines.  Research suggests that I need a kernel compiled with smp
support thought the more detailed howto's I've seen are referring to
the 2.2 kernels.

Short story, can anyone tell me if this kernel going to work for me?
There are also 2.4.27 and 2.6 smp kernels that are apt-gettable.  I've
never successfully compiled my own kernel, but I've only tried twice,
and it's been 5+ years since the last attempt.  I'm not too concerned
about the lilo config, done that enough times.  I just can't afford to
have any real delays when I take this machine offline for this.

beaker:/home/vpopmail/bin# uname -a
Linux beaker 2.4.28-bf2.4 #1 SMP Fri Nov 19 13:51:55 AKST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

Any insight would be much appreciated.  I'm in a bit of a hurry to get
this done, I've just installed spamassassin/clamav/qmail-scanner on a
server and it's getting it's butt kicked.  I'm adding some memory,
faster drives and hopefully a second processsor.  Load averages are
almost comical...or would be it I wasn't the admin.

Thanks!

--
timo