Thunderbird *does* have the ability to manage address books, including
the ability to import *.txt, *.csv, and *.tab and LDIF files.  It also
automatically collects email addresses from incoming email if you
configure it to do so.  Each email address that you send to gets added
to the Personal Address book by default.

In any case, here's what I suggest.  Export (Address
Book->Tools->Export) a personal address book to *.csv or tab delimited
format.  Here's what my *.csv looks like::

Chad,Walstrom,Chad Walstrom,chewie,chewie at wookimus.net,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The list of commas are obviously unused fields, which include address,
phone numbers, etc.  Use this as the template for creating import-able
files from Excel.  Actually, if you simply try importing a file that
contains nothing but an email addresses per line, Thunderbird may be
able to figure it out. It's worth an experiment, anyway.

Other features to look at: Mailing lists.  Again, manage this through
Thunderbird's address book application.  File->New->Mailing List.
Here you create the initial mailing list card.  Expand the Personal
Address Book Tree.  You should see the list on the left.  Highlight
and drag the addresses you want in the list.

Also, remember that you can create multiple address books.  That way
you can separate your Personal Address Book from let's say your
Contacts, Office, and Vendor lists...

Happy emailing!

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/