A little follow-up:

Carl is apparently a PHP guy, so
http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=php+wiki&section=projects&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

 From my experience with big and small projects, (such as OS rollouts,
Client or Server or both installations) a Wiki is powerful because it
forces contributors to stay ON TOPIC.  In a goal-oriented scene, threads
may not be the right way to go.  They tend to deteriorate into chaos and
sillyness, and then what do you have for solid info?  I'm not usually
even an amateur sociologist, but hey..  Entropy rules.