With due respect to those who suggested that the best highest use
of my 486 laptop is as a doorstop, and that my time is best spent
elsewhere... that's for me to decide.

Linux is *supposed* to run on older machines. Any '386 or later
should do the job. If it doesn't, many people would consider that
a bug.

So I took Sam's (and others') suggestion and tried Debian again.
It works like a charm... sort of. I can certainly boot and run
text mode stuff just fine.

The WD90C24 video chip is rather old, though, and X starts in
(ugh) 320x200 mode. Tips for getting 640x480x8 bits would be
lovely. Even a 320x200 display of a larger virtual desktop would
make it a LOT more usable.

I don't plan to run X on it most of the time, but I did want to
see how painful it is to use on the machine. I plan to make it a
samba print server, and the debian documents only say that you
should use the graphical tools and it's a snap. There's no mention
of configuration files, which I would be happy to tweak with vi.

I plan to put my effort on ThinkWiki once it gets to a good spot.

Chris Schumann