As far as network filesystems, I tried tunneling NFS over SSH, with no
success. Trying to tunnel RPC/NFS is immensely painful. I then tried
tunneling SMB over SSH, which mostly worked, however its error recovery
was crap. If the tunnel timed out and died, it wouldn't recover, you'd
have to kill everything with open files on the SMB mount, unmount it,
and remount it. Really really irritating. The newer "CIFS" driver might
be better about this, I never tried it before I discovered OpenVPN.

I now use NFS over OpenVPN, which works nicely. NFS is much better about
recovering from network outages.