Ben is right.  The actual limit for a bulk transfer (which is hard
drives/printers/scanners etc use) is ~53 MB per second.  And this is
only if everything goes right (ie there aren't any underutilized
frames and everything is on time) and probably requires that you use
only 1 endpoint.  So actual throughput is going to be much less.

R -- You should run usbtree for the drive on both ports (the slow one
and the fast one) and see where it ends up.  It shouldn't matter where
it is plugged in, and if it does it might mean that something is
amiss.  I think that most USB controllers actualy have control chips
for each speed that show up whe you scan the bus.  The devices get
handed off to the appropriate controller on initial negotiation.

A good resource for those interested is:
http://www.linux-usb.org/usb2.html
you can also get the actual USB 2.0 spec at
http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/
but that's heavy boring reading.

leif