    Loren> Have you looked at the kernel USB support?

    Loren> Make sure that you have the proper chipset specified in the
    Loren> kernel config.

Well, here's one interesting thing.  My dell has a nice, easy-to-reach
USB port on the front, giving the following miserable performance:

103 seconds to delete 30 megabytes of stuff.

However, there are also USB ports on the back.  For a laugh, I pulled
out of the front port and inserted into the back.  New numbers:

11 seconds to delete 36 megabytes of stuff.

    Loren> You might also want to play with some of the other settings like
    Loren> bandwidth enforcement and such.

    Loren> I have never worked with a USB hard drive but I have heard they are
    Loren> slow (but not THAT slow).

    Loren> Also are you on a USB 2.0 interface or 1.1?

Should be on a 2.0.  I wonder if the front port is 1.1....
Hmmm... looks like maybe so:

[rpg at necronomicon ~/tusc]$ usbtree
/:  Bus 05.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci_hcd/8p, 480M
    |__ Port 8: Dev 4, If 0, Class=stor., Driver=usb-storage, 480M
/:  Bus 04.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
/:  Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=HID, Driver=hid, 1.5M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
    |__ Port 2: Dev 3, If 0, Class=vend., Driver=microtekX6, 12M

Other than that, looks pretty much like gibberish to me, I'm afraid.

thanks, though!