I wouldn't expect the same latency or transfer rate from a USB drive
as an IDE one.  I haven't actually done the math, but I don't think
that the bus can support it.  Your latency and throughput will also
depend on what other devices you have plugged into that controller,
and the host/os implementation.

R's speeds do seem way too slow though.  The questions that I have about it are:
What speed is the device connected at?
What filesystem is on the hard drive?
What else is plugged into that controller?

leif