> A 28.8kb modem is just as fast today as it was 8 years ago.
> --

It's all perception:

In 1996 it would only take me 6 hours to fill my 80M drive with ANSI porn
from the local BBS, at 28.8k  (Yes, 80M is a bit small by 1996 standards,
but that's what I had.)

In 2004 it would take me 257 days to fill an 80G drive with usenet porn at
28.8.  260 days if you count missed multiparts and dropped articles.

In 1996, I could download the latest and greatest game (like the latest
Trade Wars 2002 v2 @ 1.5M) in 7 minutes at 28.8

In 2004, it would take more than 8 days to download the 4 CD's for Doom 3
(IIRC, my bro just bought it and it was 4 CD's) at 28.8

Poe-tay-toh, Poe-tah-toh :)

But I do remember getting that brand new 14.4 sportster.  And my wife
remembers buying said sportster from me, the day we met.  That's right,
I'm such a dork that I met my wife by selling her a modem for $20.  I'm
the Don Juan of demodulators.