Hi,

Is there a program which will automatically "nice" processes which take up
too much resources? I am asking this due to the following problem.

At the university, we have supercomputing facility. There are interactive
nodes and there are nodes to which you submit jobs. One is not supposed to
run programs in the interactive nodes. Interactive nodes is for editing
code and basically do stuff, which do not consume processor resources a
lot. But users, for testing their code, will run programs for a short
time. Some of these programs are parallel ones, which basically consume
all the resources available in the interactive node (Memory, processors
etc) for Say 5-10 minutes. During this time, other users who are
using that machine for editing etc, will find the machine non-responsive.

Is there any program which will find such situation and nice those
parallel/high resource consuming jobs, so that otherpeople using this
machine will not find it non-responsive.

There are Linux machines (Itanium-2 and Pentium) and other machies in the
institute.

I hope I am clear in my question.

Thanks for the help

Sreekumar