Paul Anderson from Wind River Systems will present an embedded Linux
talk at the November meeting:

John T. Hoffoss wrote:

>So to garner interest in his talk, and to get the word out now, he'll
>be speaking about embedded Linux and how it's used at WindRiver in
>their products. I expect this will wander into other talks of
>technology that they have used, are using, and will use, as well. In
>addition, Paul is hoping to get in touch with some folks who have
>experience and/or interest in embedded Linux programming, so postering
>EE/CS would be good, and the ACM student chapter should definitely
>hear about this early to get the word out. (I assume we have current
>members on the list...)

In the not too distant past, Wind River Systems seemed to think that
Linux in the embedded space would be a fad that would eventually wither
and die.  They may even have actively worked against Linux adoption.

They seem to have made a complete 180 in the past year or so.  Most of
their tools now support Linux and VxWorks and even other operating
systems.  Their Ethernet connection JTAG box accessing the embedded
device chain is quite interesting and the host software software seems
to all be there.  (I have used it, but did see it used and it was quite
impressive.)  They have produced several reference boards, often using
PPC and uboot firmware.  I don't know what Paul will do, but it would be
great if he could demo the above and also netboot a PPC reference board
from a PC laptop running tftp, dhcp/bootp and NFS root, plus show how to
set it all up.  Might not be enough time.  (Don't expect any x86 stuff,
embedded guys use real microprocessors like ARM, PPC, Hitachi, etc.)

Anyway, I wouldn't miss the November meeting.  Neither should you!
Could be some great embedded development stories and humour too!

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>