    Olwe> There are million little questions that beg solving for novice/reentrant
    Olwe> Linux users. For example, where should you stick a new *.el file for
    Olwe> Emacs? On my Fedore 2 I see in /usr/share/emacs various places where
    Olwe> *.el's are kept, but if I'm adding, where's the best place?

I'd be inclined to keep them out of /usr/share/emacs, since that's the
stuff that will be blown away when you upgrade your distro or some
such.  And they don't come with your distro so they won't reappear
with the reinstall...

I just make something like ~/emacs-lisp and put stuff in there.  Then

(add-to-load-path (expand-file-name "~/emacs-lisp/")

[add-to-load-path is the obvious defun that does add-to-list on
load-path.]

My OWN new emacs lisp files I put elsewhere, under CVS control...

HTH,