Dan's message reminded me to ask for real-world implementations of large,
highly-available squid installations...on Linux (just so it's on-topic).

I want:

Transparent + Privoxy + Squid + Load-balanced + Redundant

With a side of Cache Peering (NOT parent/sibling, but sibling/sibling, or
some sort of force-feed model).  And there may be more than 2 caches, so
opinions on 3 or 4 peered caches.

One of the big issues is the redundancy.  My feeling is that WCCPv2 is the
"right" way to do it, but last I checked, Squid's WCCP2 stuff was still
immature.  In that case I would do FreeVRRP.

I've thrown Privoxy in the mix although it shouldn't really be an issue.
It can either forward everything to squid, or I can config squid to
forward everything to Privoxy.  I would have both squid and priv. running
on all caches, and one would forward to the local instance of the other.

I'd be grateful for any input on what others have done in this scenario.