> I've looked at dansguardian.org and squidguard.org - they seem to work
> together, but squidguard looks old and unmaintained.  Anyone have any
> killer solutions?  I'd suppose I'll end up with a transparent squid
> server (non-caching, my firewall isn't that beefy).

Squid can block by address.  And if you're crafty it can block by URL
content.  I ended up doing this for a personal project of mine.  I think I
had to enable an option during --configure, and then I was able to specify
a "filter" in the config, where all URL's were passed into.  The filter is
passed the URL line (and some other stuff) and has the option of
re-writing it.

Another option would be to use Privoxy, which doesn't cache, but blocks.
I was toying around with this last year, and it looked really good.  Oh
yeah, if you enable the "fun" filter, it will re-write "Microsoft" to
"Microsuck" in the returned HTML content.  Fun indeed.