> Have you tried your hard drive vendor's website (eg, Seagate, Maxtor,
> etc...)?  Some have boot floppy utilities for this purpose.
> --
> scot

The ideal tool would work across the full spectrum of manufacturers.  This
would be nice in situations where hard drive brand is unknown for one
reason or another.  In fact, I've heard that Western Digitals diagnostic
utility works this way, but I have not been able to verify that.

I'll have to try the tools on the Knoppix disk to see how well they work.
The physical state of the drive is more important in thiscase then the
actual file structure.

Thanks for the info.

-Eric