On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 10:24:31AM -0500, Adam Maloney wrote:
> > > I have NEVER seen an active server that supports VRFY.
> >
> > I'd say one in five of my clients support it. The last client I
> > tested supported it, actually.
>
> IIRC, it wasn't off by default in Sendmail until around 8.9 or 8.10.

I wasn't aware of this, but it looks like it is enabled by default in
postfix - but rate limited, and implemented a bit differently to prevent
abuse, such as by not expanding aliases (at least, experimentally this
holds true).  I found a good thread here:

http://tinyurl.com/5zr3v [google groups]

dan