    John> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:37:56 -0500, Jim Crumley
    John> <crumley at belka.space.umn.edu> wrote:
    John> <snip>
    >> libraries easily available.  Of course for problems at this level
    >> Mathematica/Matlab/IDL are all viable alternatives as well.

    John> But not free/easily available unless I'm going to the lab (or SSH'd
    John> in) which isn't tough, but not as easy as perl/python right on my
    John> personal pc...

I think most EE's are used to spending a load of time in the lab
anyway, and Matlab is a very friendly language for engineers.  There's
a fellow at Macalester whose name I'm afraid I've forgotten, who
teaches MATLAB as a first language (for non-CS majors IIRC), and has
written a textbook for the purpose.

Cheers