On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 12:04:21PM -0500, John T. Hoffoss wrote:
> Interestingly enough, the Programming for Scientists & Engineers
> course uses C++, rather than Java. This forces non-computer science
> students to get into exactly what I would avoid teaching even computer
> science students, immediately. I was a Teaching Assistant for this
> course for a semester, and I'll tell ya, some of those kids would have
> been great programmers had they learned to program before they had to
> learn pointers, references, and memory management. Others would have
> still sucked had we used Java, but it would've been easier to teach
> them. IMO, Perl or Python would have been much better suited to these
> kids...of course, I don't teach or design curriculum anywhere.

I agree that C++ is not an ideal first programming language from
some stand points, bt it is a decent compromise.  Science and
engineering deparments want their students to a learn a language
that is actually used in industry.  Most large engineering and
science codes (simulations, etc.) are written in Fortran or
C/C++, so the departments want their students to learn those
languages.  Many CS departments don't want to teach Fortran, even
though it is a much better intro language in a lot of ways.
Pointers and memory management issues do exist in F90/F95 but
they are advanced topics that can ignored at the beginning
(unlike C/C++ where they are central issues). But CS departments
would rather teach C++, so that's the usual compromise.

I would agree that there would be some advantages to teaching
Perl or Python to science and engineering majors.  Those
languages are nice for doing homework problems, etc. since you
don't have to futz with compilers and there are nice plotting
libraries easily available.  Of course for problems at this level
Mathematica/Matlab/IDL are all viable alternatives as well.

I don't think Java makes any sense for this class, though. Very
little science is done with Java, and it doesn't have the
advantage of simplicity like Python.