On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:21:39 -0500, Josh Trutwin
<josh at trutwins.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:58:38 -0500 (CDT)
> Adam Maloney <adam at whee.org> wrote:
>
> > > The U's C++ programming class [for engineers/non-majors] used
> > > Deitel & Deitel's C++ book.
> >
> > Interesting - I was a CSci major, but never took C++.
>
> Back in my day (only about 10 years ago) we did C/C++.  I'm teaching
> one of the beginning programming courses at Metrostate this year and
> it's all in Java.  Cannot say for sure if I really agree with that or
> not for teaching basic programming.
>
> Josh

I think java is a waste of time for csci. As a beginning programming
course it could teach the fundamentals, but I've heard of schools
wanting to switch from C++ to java for csci majors..... Java is just
too slow..... I can't see it being used for much more than web
applications IMHO.

-Josh