Actually, at the Univ. of Minn., I never had a single class that
required it. I bought it anyway, as it was a much better reference
book on the language itself; rather, most of my classes required a
book that focused on programming methodologies and concepts and taught
C/C++ syntax sporadically or in an Appendix.

The U's C++ programming class [for engineers/non-majors] used Deitel &
Deitel's C++ book.

Additionally, a link posted previously proved to contain a lot of good
information, except that link is dead now. Instead, see
www.techbooksforfree.com/ccpp.shtml. Hopefully one of those will give
you what you need.

John

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:17:39 -0500, Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net> wrote:
> Olwe Melwasul wrote:
> > Does anyone know of any good on-line (free) Unix/Linux-oriented C
> > tutorial/manual/reference books either in PS or PDF format? Google
> > produces a flood.
>
> Not that I know of, but it would be a good idea to purchase the K&R ANSI
> C book.  You can find used ones on the Amazon or B&N site for fairly
> cheap.  It is still THE book used by Computing Science classes around
> the nation.
>
> --
> Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/
>            assert(expired(knowledge)); /* core dump */

John T. Hoffoss