Erik Anderson wrote:
> I'm going to be moving soon, and am planning on wiring the new place
> with cat5e.  I'm wondering what type of cat5e I should buy.  I know
> that for commercial applications, you need to install plenum cable in
> the walls to meet code.  Does the same building code apply to
> residential data wiring?  Can I put STP or PVC cable in the walls?
>
> Thanks!
> -Erik

IANABI (I am not a building inspector) but my understanding is that
special cabling is required for those areas that are used for air
circulation as part of an HVAC system, i.e. the area between a dropped
ceiling and the deck above it. These areas are referred to a plenum
spaces, this is why such cable is referred to as "plenum" rated.
There should be no reason you couldn't use pvc jacketed cable in the
walls of a residential building. STP, on the other hand, should only be
required in special instances.

HTH,
Josh