Encrypted passwords in samba must be turned on going from XP to Samba
and back.
In windows 95 passwords were clear text, in windows 98 and all later
they are encrypted.

Is the service on the XP machine "NT LM Security Support Provider" =
"started"

LM = LAN Manager

This may be the issue, I can't remember if the "Status" should be
"Started" or not.

Sam.