Just so I know in my mind whats happening.
***
Your trying to connect to a Linux box from an XP box.
Before SP2 it worked fine, after SP2 it does not work.
***
You will need to turn off the firewall components in XP as a starting point.
SP2 turns on all sorts of security to keep the machine safe from attack.
You will need to work through turning security features off until it works.
"1 at a time"  this means disabling services as well.

You may have to open TCP/UDP ports that allow SMB to make it through.
137, 138, 139, 445 are some of the ports.  This would mean changing or
adding registry entries.

Check the following sites to gain some knowledge on the ports.

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/1998-January/005534.html
http://ntsecurity.nu/papers/port445/
http://www.spirit.com/Resources/ports.html

I swear M$ is trying to prevent their OS's from connecting to Linux.

Sam.