On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:09:35 -0500, gregwm <tclug at greatlakedata.com> wrote:

> i would like to find computer speakers that can do undistorted non-tinny
> non-boomy sound in a large church basement.  again, wireless would be
> nice.
>
> do these things exist?  if so do they work well?
>
> where should i really be looking/asking?

You might want to shift your thinking from computer gadgets to pro
audio/ presentation equipment. even the best computer speakers are
designed to be listened to from 3 feet away. they are not designed to,
nor do they have the power to project clearly though a big room.

You need a pa system. Both your mic and your computer should plug into
your PA system. Also your mic should not be attached to something that
you point around like a remote control, it should be pointed at your
mouth. If you are using a sound system with enough power to fill big
room then your mic will feed back as soon as it is pointed near a
speaker. the best option is to have a mic pinned to your shirt. If you
can afford a wireless mic transmitter and receiver to loose the cord
that is best (lapel mics with long cords are a pain). Many companies
make portable PA systems and presentation equipment.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com is a good source for this kind of
thing. Here is what I would recommend, start with a small PA and a
hand held mic, if funds permit buy the lapel mic, then the wireless.

Cheap PAs:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search?so=asc&sc=price&c=5335&so=asc&sc=price
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/602201/
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/630130/
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/480634/

Cord for connecting your computer audio to the PA inputs:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/s=cables/search/detail/base_pid/333053/

lapel mic:
Cheap:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/270488/
Good:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/270132/

Mic cord:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/s=cables/search/detail/base_pid/338001/

Lapel Mic with transmitter & receiver: This is what you need if you can afford:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/271168/

--
Tom Penney