I'm looking for a Linux open source hardware test suite that verifies
the proper function of all subsystems of an x86 or AMD64 PC system.

PC Doctor <http://www.pc-doctor.com/products/development/linux/htm>
has such a test suite, but it isn't open source and costs a lot of
money.

I've looked briefly at the tools available at
http://linux-diag.sourceforge.net/, but it doesn't seem to be fully
developed.  Does anyone have experience with sysfstools, sysdiag or
even lsvpd that they would like to share?

There are a couple of live CDs that look interesting for testing
hardware stability, but don't provide nearly enough tests and don't
seem to have scripts that could automate the tests for a complete
unattended 12-24 hour burn-in of all PC subsystems:

http://www.stresslinux.org/
http://overclockix.octeams.com/

Ideally, all ports except one Ethernet port would have loop-back
devices connected, except one Ethernet port where all the software and
test results would flow through/to a test server.

Some single purpose hardware tests I've found include:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/

http://www.memtest86.com/ (bootable GPL)

http://www.memtest.org/ (bootable GPL; based on memtest86)

/sbin/badblocks