> Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 08:53:21 -0500
> From: Andrew Zbikowski <andyzib at gmail.com>

> > > PS: OEM version of MS products, office included, are tied to the
> > > hardware, if you replace the box you have to replace the Licence
> > > with new ones.
> >
> > Indeed.  Also note that more than 3 hardware changes to any given box
> > with XP will have to do the same as well.... :(
>
> I recently transferred Win XP (Pro) from my now dedicated Linux machine
> to my Girlfriends computer.WinXP activated over the internet no
> problem...I didn't even have to call Microsoft. YYMV of course, but
> Microsoft activation isn't as bad as some people would have you belive.

(Your *what* may vary?)

OEM MS products are tied to the hardware by the licensing terms. There is
no software mechanism preventing you from moving the software.

Activation may come into play, but it may not. I moved a hard drive with
XP Pro on it from one laptop to another, changing motherboard, CPU from
PII to PIII, PCI chipset, display controller, CardBus controller and who
knows what else. XP Pro noticed and installed the new hardware and didn't
make a peep about the changes or activation.

In any case, the anecdotal evidence I have so far is that Windows XP Pro
product ID's will allow activation five times and Office product ID's will
allow activation twice before you have to make a call.

The license for Office explicitly allows for two installations. One is
supposed to be on a portable machine, and you are not supposed to use them
at the same time.

Chris Schumann