Paul Cutler wrote:

>I've had the 20gig Neuros for a year, and can't recommend it at all
>
>But of course, now we're OT, since Ian originally had asked about flash
>players!
>
>--paul

I have been looking at players for some time.  I meant to reply earlier
but given my kernel is compiling ...

What makes you say the Neuros is a no buy.  Of course this is
subjective, but I would be interested in hearing your quips about it.  I
had been heavily considering purchasing one.  The price seems good and
the feature list is astounding.  Additionally they have
http://open.neurosaudio.com/ which I thought pretty cool as I followed
some of the arguments of how once you have the hardware, all you need is
firmware and you are set.  It's for this reason I also thought of maybe
not purchasing one as prices may go down as a result.  Plus the
integration of ogg playability will increase.

Perhaps you wouldn't recommend someone going back in time and purchasing
a unit that is identical to the one you had, but supposing we consider
the tech gets better?  Or is it your perspective it really hasn't?  Are
you aware if they have changed hard drive suppliers or is skipping or
noise-making a no-problem?  I realize that the interface is problematic
functionality-wise.  Do you find this the case?

My interest is not so much exercise quality (although I do spend 5+
hours at the gym each week.)  But I would like something that was
affordable (college student), and was in the gigs as far as storage so I
figured HDD was gonna be required.  It absolutely MUST play ogg though.
Originally I had considered a Rio Karma, but this was when I had just
started looking (week ago).  I checked out amazon.com, epinions, and
"independent" review sites and found out the drives they use are shoddy
and can't expect to work after 3 months.

 From there I kept hearing a lot of good things about the iRiver and
then Neuros.  I know the Xiph Foundation has worked with both
intimately, iRiver preceeding Neuros, so ogg probably works swell on both.

I guess I'm leading iRiver but it is 50 more dólares.

- as -