Jay,

The answer kinda depends on the idea.
Something that uses very little resources and can be run from a spare
bedroom has a much lower threshold than something that demands heavy
capitalization and lots of labor.

One of the better places to start is a book by Don Lancaster:
http://www.tinaja.com/ismm01.html

He has some pretty good advise on how do view patents (I have several and
find myself agreeing with him completely):
http://www.tinaja.com/patnt01.asp

A final note on Don - his site is a pretty cool place for a hacker:
http://www.tinaja.com/

A good search term for resource for the budding hacker business man is
"midnight engineering"
See:
http://www.enteng.com/midnight.htm

The front door to the same site:
http://www.enteng.com/

Best of luck in your business adventures,

Mark Browne