On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 09:52:38PM -0700, Leif Johnson wrote:
> I just got qwest dsl and it came with an Actiontec
> GT701-wg modem/gateway.  Using dhcp running a 2.6
> kernel (SuSE or Knoppix) my computer doesn't resolve
> host names correctly.  Using a 2.4 kernel (SuSE or
> Knoppix) or FreeBSD 4.8 everything works fine.  Has
> any one else run into this problem?

I've been having similar problems. 2.4 or 2.6 kernel makes no difference for
me (I'm running Debian), but some apps have problems and others don't.
Mozilla doesn't have a problem, but apt-get and lynx do. I tried to follow
what was going on with tcpdump and got the impression that some apps try an
IPV6 name lookup before falling back to IPV4. It seems that the IPV6 request
borks the name server in the Actiontec and makes it return the IP address
1.0.0.0 for the next IPV4 request. I updated to the latest firmware from
Qwest, but still have the problem. My workaround for now has been to use
host (which doesn't have this problem) to cache the name lookup before
running apt-get, or else list another name server before the actiontec in
/etc/resolv.conf.

-Steve