Greets!  I recently had the same dillema.  I was partial to Libranet
(Debian-based).  Worked great for me.

When I got my Athlon, I looked around, asked around and decided on
Gentoo.  Compile if you want or bootstrap with a stage 2 or 3 if you do
not want to compile everything.

Of course, having a new, fast, monster family member, I had to compile
everything.  Kernel recompile in less than 2 minutes.  You have to love
that.

There's an AMD64 discussion group.  Check it out to see which apps are
and are not compatible.  They're keeping a very good list.  You can
search for the packages you use on the Gentoo site and it'll tell you
the compatibility as well.

I've been happy.  I'm not a huge game player, so I cannot tell you what
games do or do not work.  Come to think of it, I haven't even played Tux
Racer.  I have to try that out.

Good luck!  Have fun with the new box.

Chris