Tim Wilson wrote:
> On 9/3/04 8:49 PM, "Scot Jenkins" <scot at thinkunix.net> wrote:
>
> > A late reply here, but I've found having a Knoppix cdrom can be really
> > handy for identifying hardware (such as your raid controller) or for
> > figuring out which partition is the / (root) partition.
>
> Unfortunately in my case, the Knoppix CD I used didn't seem to detect the
> RAID hardware in this system. It didn't do much good.
>
> On a related note...
>
> The Knoppix CD does a fantastic job of setting up a text-only environment
> with perfectly sized text, good color combinations, and a VESA framebuffer.
> How can I figure out the settings that Knoppix is using so I can apply them
> to this server? Setting up a nice text-only environment isn't something I've
> delved into much before.

Try mounting the knoppix cdrom and poking around under /etc.  Surely
there's some config file magic going on in there.  I'd start with
/etc/profile, /etc/default(s)/*, /etc/init.d/*.

Personally, I'm happy with the non-framebuffer 80x25 consoles, but I
value my eyesight.

"Screen sizes is inversely proportional to font size."
(the bigger the monitors are, the smaller the fonts.)
--
scot