On 9/3/04 7:04 PM, "Adam" <adam at askewview.net> wrote:

> What kind of RAID controller is it? My dell poweredge 2400 has a AMI
> PERC2/DC raid card in it and a vanilla kernel on gentoo sees it as
> /dev/sda. I'd double check to make sure you have the driver for the
> controller compiled into the kernel.

Aha! I've got it whooped.

It turns out that in the installation process for the new kernel image that
I created. A previous (and failed) attempt to compile a kernel for this
machine was installed as LinuxOLD (the one that's supposed to work)
alongside my new one. The result was that I had two kernels that didn't work
available to me. The proper driver wasn't installed in the kernel so that's
why it couldn't see the RAID array.

The solution was to boot the custom Debian install CD with the correct
drivers on it. I typed the following at the install cd prompt

# rescue root=/dev/sda3

That install CD then booted up the system and all daemons started up
properly. I fixed /etc/lilo.conf and all is well.

Whew! Thanks for the help.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson