Hey everyone,

I've got a Dell 1750 server running Debian that we use here at school. It's
a dual-Xeon box with RAID.

I decided to give a 2.6 kernel a try on this server so I built the kernel
and configured lilo.conf to boot the new kernel. Actually, I used Debian's
make-kpkg tool to do most of the heavy lifting. Having learned my lesson
many years ago when I built my first custom kernel, I made sure that the old
working kernel was still an option in my LILO config.

Unfortunately, neither kernel boots now. I'm getting:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or 08:01

I'd put a different "root=" boot option in there, but I'm not sure which
partition holds the root. My install notes are nowhere to be found, and I'm
not even sure that this machine uses the standard /dev/sdax naming given
that's it's using a RAID controller.

Anyone have a suggestion? I'm at a loss right now.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson
Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA