Can anybody explain how /proc/cpuinfo could report the wrong clock speed
on your processor?  I did some tweaking on my laptop recently to turn
off power-saving because the cpu was reported at ~750Mhz on a P3
1.13Ghz.  The power saving level in acpi was always set to C2 so I hard
coded the kernel source to always set C1.  Upon reboot of the new
kernel, the clock speed was shown as ~320-340Mhz.  But the machine was
still just as fast as always.  I figured it was something I screwed up,
but I can check it now and it's back to 750Mhz.  I would have left it as
a screwup on my part still, but on a whim I happened to check the file
on my gateway server, it also showed ~350Mhz, but it's a 800Mhz Athlon,
with no ACPI/APM/Trottling/etc at all.  I also checked an old HP laptop
at work and it showed ~320Mhz, but it should be a P3 700Mhz.

My server and laptop are both running vanilla kernels 2.6.7.  The work
laptop is running 2.6.3.  I know the /proc/cpuinfo reading is wrong,
there is simply no way a system running at ~300Mhz can play a 1.5Gig
DivX dvd-riped avi file at 1600x1200 res at full speed.  I don't even
think Linux is THAT fast.

Anyone got a clue on what could be causing these to be off?  It's not
real important, like I said there's no change in the performance, but
I'm going to be getting some parts soon to build a dual Xeon cpu and I'd
like to see the dual cpu + hyperthreading specs so I can drool at them.  :)

Thanks all

Chris Frederick