I am attempting to implement a means of performing bare metal recovery
of the Linux boxes under my care. To do this I have a script that tars
up the files and creates scripts for restoring the partitioning, boot
loader, etc. The idea being that if I have a bootable Linux distribution
(i.e. Knoppix) and the backup then I could bare metal restore the backed
up system.

This works pretty well so far except for one problem with xfs.

The box that is being backed up is partitioned along the lines of:
   /dev/hda1  /boot
   /dev/hda2  /u01
   /dev/hda3  /var
   /dev/hda5  /usr
   /dev/hda6  /tmp
   /dev/hda7  /
   /dev/hda8  <swap>

If I restore to a similarly partitioned box then xfs dies when started
by the init.d script (where /etc/init.d/xfs tries to start xfs as 'xfs
-droppriv -daemon'). If I manually start xfs as 'xfs -daemon' then xfs
runs just fine.

To make matters more interesting, if the restore is done against a
simpler partitioning scheme such as:
   /dev/hda1  /boot
   /dev/hda2  <swap>
   /dev/hda3  /
then xfs works fine when started by the init.d script.

FWIW, I'm using tar with ' --same-owner -cpzf ' to perform the backup
and ' -xzkpf ' to restore.

Anyone have any ideas what's up with this?

--greg