> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:07:17 -0500
> From: Dan Rue <drue at therub.org>

> I think there is massive confusion going on here.

Sadly, yes. I'm confused, but the fog is clearing.

> >From what I can remember of your thread, I don't know why someone
> recommended that you run named (bind).  I don't think you need it.

No one here recommended my running named. Someone did recommend that I
check its status. In any case, I can't start, stop or check the status of
named. I would like to resolve that even if I don't use it... but it can
wait.

> /etc/resolv.conf is used for when you try to resolve a name.  that is
> necessary on any computer connected to the internet.  It has nothing to
> do with named.

I now see that any resolution immediately uses the new contents.

> named is for if you want to run a name server, to serve requests for a
> particular domain (or a caching name server) - you don't need it!  It's
> a pita to set up if you're not familiar with it, anyway.

My lesson for the day. That's good to know. I thought named might give
some benefit like faster lookups, but that benefit will be small.

> What?  You can add a second DNS server to resolv.conf anytime.
>
> What exactly is not working?

$ping itasca.net
ping: unknown host itasca.net

That comes back immediately with just 209.46.63.1 in my resolv.conf
(ns.gofast.net). If I add 207.195.213.5 and -.6, it takes a while longer
but returns the same result. (Those two IP's are listed as the domain
hosts in whois itasca.net.)

Adding 209.46.63.6 (ns2.gofast.net) makes it take longer but still fails.

If I dig itasca.net, I get SERVFAIL with 209.46.63.1. If I use any of the
other three IP's, I get timeouts.

Chris Schumann