I'm trying to do something very simple in swatch (3.1.1) and it's making
me angry.

I want to watch a log in one file and based on a regex dump the same
lines to another file (maybe there's a better tool than swatch?)

I'm using a swatchrc like follows (replacing my regex with .* for now):

watchfor = /.*/
        echo
        exec echo $0 >> /var/log/cleanlog

When I run swatch though and generate events in the logfile that it's
tailing, I get corresponding rows in /var/log/cleanlog, but instead of
having the line copied into the cleanlog, I get the name of the tmp
script, for example:

/etc/swatch/tmp/.swatch_script.26403
/etc/swatch/tmp/.swatch_script.26689
/etc/swatch/tmp/.swatch_script.26724

So, $0 is not being replaced with the actual line and instead with the
name of the tmp script.  Examples I've found on the net like this:
(http://www.spitzner.net/swatchrc.txt) look pretty much the same.

Any thoughts?

Josh