On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 09:52:52PM -0500, Erik Anderson wrote:
> My windows servers at work usually have uptimes of 4-5 months...and
> usually then they're rebooted not because they need it, but because
> we're changing around UPS's or something else that necessitates
> power shut-off.

That's into the range that makes me nervous - enough MS patches need
reboots nowadays that anything over 4-6 weeks is probably out-of-date
on patches, and susceptible to some nasty coming along.

My current employer got caught by that BIG time by ... Sasser, I think
it was? One of the big worms at about that time. The patch from MS had
been available for 'a long time' - but our Exchange servers had
uptimes of over a year, and our IT Director was very proud of that
fact (and he really should have known better). They have since
scheduled a monthly reboot to make certain the patches are at least
moderately current.

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org