I talked to a gentleman for about a half-hour when I first got to the
installfest. He had problems with mp3 files on a USB drive not showing
up after general nanosys installed xp sp2 on one of his machines. He
had a big collection of old music.

It was unclear to me whether the files were permanently deleted, or if
they just didn't show up when he tried to access them from the xp
machine. He definitely said that when he read the USB files from the
xp machine they just didn't show up.

I gave him a copy of Mepis (Debian based, like Knoppix, runs off a CD,
good hardware detection) and suggested he read the USB drive from
there.

Cheers,

CO2