On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:58:19 -0500
"Mark Browne" <markdeb.browne at comcast.net> wrote:

Interesting read...

> Yankee's study concluded that, in large enterprises, a significant
> Linux deployment or total switch from Windows to Linux would be
> three to four times more expensive - and take three times as long to
> deploy - as an upgrade from one version of Windows to a newer
> release. And nine out of 10 enterprise customers said that such a
> change wouldn't provide any tangible business gains.

I can only shake my head and try not to laugh.  I just spent my ENTIRE weekend rebuilding f'in Windows 2000 machines because of stupid $hit that doesn't work.  I seem to be on a 1-2 year cycle of rebuilding Windows PC's.  Now other people that know I do this suddenly want me to do it for them as if I enjoyed it.  I've NEVER had to re-install a Unix/Linux OS because it was in operation for more than a year.  Is that factored into your TCO MS?

> All 14 companies said it was difficult finding qualified Linux
> personnel in the marketplace to support their Linux projects. When
> they did find third-party help, they had less leverage negotiating
> hourly rates than with Windows consulting resources.

Really?  Where the $#@$ are these job postings then?

I personally think Linux is approaching a stage where enough "tech" people are getting excited about it that they are dangerous and stupid enough to give Linux a bad name.

My $0.02

Josh