I'm pretty sure most Dell printers are rebranded Lexmarks. Every
instance of Lexmark is replaced with Dell...even in the embedded code.
I know there is at least on printer out there that has a Dell version
and a Lexmark version...same exact printer except for the vendor name,
but windows insists they are different because one is a Dell XYZ and
the other is a Lexmark XYZ. Fun stuff. Thankfully it's one of those
Windows only printers that doens't even know how to talk PCL without
the host software on Windows.

For me, you can't beat a good laser printer. I had (still have) a
LaserJet 6L that I got new in 1998. The toner cartridge it came with
lasted me 6 years. Hell, the thing is probally not even empty but the
printers fusor has gone bad.

A couple months back I picked up a used Lexmark E322 (A personal
printer that speaks Post Script!) at MPC in Eagan for $50. Cheaper
than replacing the HPs fusor I guess. Lexmark may want to lock out
other vendors from selling toner cartridges for their printers, but
you have to give them some credit for their pre-bate program where
they include a UPS shipping label in the box of your new cartridge so
that you can ship the used cartridge back to them free of charge for
recycling.

If I want to print photos...the Wal-Mart down the street has one of
those Kodak stations and the prints are like 15 cents...or
something...whatever they charge it's about the same cost per print as
developing a roll of film. And it's a 24-hour Wal-Mart too.

In short, my experience tells me InkJet printers from any vendor are
just horrible horrible money sinks. Up front costs of a laser printer
are more, but over time it seems to work out in favor of my wallet.
;-)

I've seen one HP that I liked. It was a small persario or something
that is about the same size (or smaller) as Dell's current OptiPlex
small form factor boxes. It was a P166, so HP had the small form
factor thing going quite early. The thing ran for 3 or 4 years 24/7 as
a Linux firewall/TiVo router, power supply finially died though. HP
put out solid systems until the Compaq merger...but I've never met a
Compaq home user type machine that I liked...and now that goes for HP
too.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
 A password is like your underwear; Change it