HP's not the only one with that market corner; I noticed this with Canon
too.  A few years ago, I bought my kids a cheapo Canon bubblejet for
Christmas -- $59 or some such price.  Then I discovered each cartridge
(Black = $20, Color = $37) summed to the printer price.  That printer is
now sitting in my junk pile, and they have a totally different printer
today!