On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Mike Miller wrote:
> I would not be surprised if HP makes more total on the ink-jet cartridges
> than on the ink-jet printers!

No kidding.  It's King Gillette's old adage - give away the razor and sell
the blades.  CompUSA lists a black ink cartridge for an HP printer at
$19.99.  The cheapest HP inkjet printer is $49.62.  AFAIK, every printer
manufacturer does this.

Geek: Why does the "tub of ink" cost 1/2 the price of the printer?!

HP: Because the cartridge has fancy electronics on it

Geek: What do those electronics do?

HP: You know...stuff.  Good stuff. It can tell you when you're out of ink!

Geek: Why don't you put that logic into the printer?

HP: (Getting nervous) Well, then the printer would cost more

Geek: But I only have to buy the printer once, I have to buy Ink
cartridges every few months!  If you're so concerned about cost, wouldn't
you like to offer your customers a non-low-ink-detecting version that's
cheaper?  I mean, come on, we can tell when we're out of ink...

HP: (Blurts out) But then the printer won't be able to tell whether you
bought a $3 refilled cartridge, or an overpriced $20 official HP
cartridge...SHOOT WAS THAT OUT LOUD?

And looking into my "Crystal Ball of Conspiracy Theories", I see the
future.  I see rfid tags embedded into paper, and I see HP and Epson
buying a large number of paper mills.