;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
itasca.net.             2D IN NS        bullwinkle.itasca.net.
itasca.net.             2D IN NS        rocky.itasca.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
bullwinkle.itasca.net.  2D IN A         207.195.213.5
rocky.itasca.net.       2D IN A         207.195.213.6

*blink blink*  That netblock sure looks familiar :)

When I hear symptoms like this, I immediately think of the
WorkAroundBrokenAAAA sendmail option - but these guys appear to be running
bind-8 and working correctly, so that probably isn't the issue.

Are you running a DNS server on this machine?  Do you have a nameserver
specified in /etc/resolv.conf?  Who's your upstream?

What you may want to do is run tcpdump and watch the DNS traffic.  See who
you are sending the DNS query to, and who is responding back and with what
answers.

Also, in general, a good DNS test is to just use dig on your local machine
and "play computer", like:

dig @f.gtld-servers.net itasca.net
(returns nameservers for itasca.net)

dig @1st-name-server.itasca.net itasca.net mx
dig @2nd-name-server.itacsa.net itasca.net mx

See if you get the same response from both, and see if both servers return
the same NS records in the authority section that came from the root
servers (they did when I looked, so if you are able to get responses from
both servers, they should be right).  This shouldn't be the case here, but
I've seen a lot of intermittent DNS problems because the DNS servers for a
domain are returning a different set of auth NS servers in the query
being flakey - typically this is the case of someone updating the root
because they decommissioned or renumbered a name server, but didn't change
the zone file.