On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Mike Miller wrote:

> Note that "ab" are the first two characters of the putatively encrypted
> output.  It seems that your perl command always includes the first two
> letters of the input as the first two letters of the output:
>
> # perl -le 'print crypt("password", "joe");'
> jobbj4Fd7EAng
> # perl -le 'print crypt("password", "bob");'
> boCXLU4aKrJ0Y
> # perl -le 'print crypt("password", "mary");'
> maC0ec.kN8AgI
>
> That can't be right!

Wow.  I are dumb.  I should have been doing this:

perl -le 'print crypt("joe", "ab");'
perl -le 'print crypt("bob", "ab");'
perl -le 'print crypt("mary", "ab");'

I was changing the salt and using the same password.  I meant to change
the password!  Well, what I was doing was so far off that no one probably
quite figured out what the heck I was talking about.

Now that I understand how it works, I looked at my Solaris /etc/shadow,
used the first two characters of my encrypted password as the salt, and,
voila, it worked perfectly.

Mike